Let’s imagine you’ve just touched down in Berlin. It’s late afternoon. You drop off your bags at your hotel, and hunger starts to set in. What could be better than a heavy German dinner to start your time in the city off on the right foot? That’s exactly what this guide to German food in Berlin is here for.
Most people don’t know this before touching down in Berlin, but the city isn’t as famous for its German culture as its sister city, Munich. Berlin is much more focused around international food, and it’s not exactly a walk in the park to find a German restaurant on a whim. So check our list
Nice basic Swabian cuisine with Spätzle or bread dumplins.
Authentic Bavarian Wirtshaus-style cuisine in a rustic atmosphere with Tegernseer Hell on tap. Very reasonably priced and nice beer garden in the summer.
Swabian cuisine in a quiet part of Friedenau. Homemade Maultaschen (dumplings) and other authentic regional specialties like Zwiebelrostbraten, Schupfnudeln and Spätzle. Very nice beer garden in the w...
I really like this restaurant. The price are a bit touristy/Mitte ones, but the food is legit good and it has a really nice atmosphere. My guests always love it.
The portions are somewhat similar to ...
East Prussian cuisine served in a very cosy classic ambience. Not much more to say, it's great and you should book a table well in advance.
Swabian cuisine with a nice beer garden in the Rote Insel part of Schöneberg. Classic fare like Zwiebelrostbraten (beef roast with onions), Schweinebraten (pork roast), Maultaschen (dumplings) and Spä...
A classic in Berlin, to the left when you enter the biergarten
Bavarian restaurant that specialize in Haxe (Pork Knuckle), Grilled or Boiled.
Great food, reasonable price and very good atmosphere: really looks like a bavarian grandma's place. Staff wears traditio...
Fine German dishes at a cosy location in Mitte.
You get an incredible amount of food for 5EUR. 80% of the customers are local construction workers, and the other 20% are hipsters who have seen their near perfect internet reviews. A good place to en...
Dicke Wirtin in Charlottenburg. Had a great meal every time I've been there. Large portions and not overly expensive. Small place so you probably won't get a table at the weekend but I've walked in an...
Classic German (mostly Southern German) fare, small and cosy restaurant, quality ingredients and nice people.
A good selection of schnitzels and other German kitchen items.
Interior design stylized as an old apartment.
Good and solid meals - Berlin style.
A good restaurant to have a German high end dining experience.
A restaurant specialized in Schnitzel. Its a great schnitzel and they have german tapas !
It's a paradise for fish-lovers, yet they also offer an excellent collection of cheeses, cold cuts and bread. When I was a broke student, I just went there from time to time for a cheap bag of the bes...
A local institution. Cheap af, delicious p, working-class stodge. Take the eisbein or Gulasch. Guten Appetit!
Great place with goods typical German food!
Is actually focused on Austrian cuisine (or actually Bavarian), but probably one of the best Schnitzel I've had in Berlin. Would also recommend the sausage dish.
This lovely Kreuzberg restaurant serves high-quality German food – so much so you'll eventually stop thinking what the name is all about. The menu is mixed with well-executed traditional fare -- König...
Serving up porcine delights and clogging arteries since 1902, Max und Moritz is a lovely treat for the senses. Dig the Wilhelmine furniture that is still scattered around. The menu hasn't changed much...
really nice and quaint restaurant serving lovely goulash dishes. Tables are very limited so come on time or make a reservation.
A little bit touristic but great prices, great menu, delectable food. Very good service.
Nice typical bavarian restaurant
The Thüringer Stuben is a nice cozy restaurant in Prenzlauer Berg that offers a variety of German dishes focusing mainly on meals from the eastern part of Germany.
Really good Schnitzel in various forms. Also other kinds of German „Hausmannskost“
Great variety of german food, nice atmosphere and waiting staff, very affordable